Who are we?
The Paulo Freire Institute in Zejtun was set up by the Maltese Jesuits to promote literacy and community development.
The aim of the Paulo Freire Institute is to empower, and promote the self-development, self-confidence and the talents (including functional literacy) of each and every individual, especially the vulnerable in society.
For this reason our Institute applies three interrelated approaches: community development, formal and non-formal education and community social work.
The following are the main activities presently carried out at the Institute:
- Non-Formal Educational Activities for children & youths
- Literacy Project for children and youths
- Emotional Literacy for children
- Literacy for Adults Programme
- Parental skills programme
- Social & Community Work
- Counselling services
- Other miscellaneous formative activities
Most of the services offered by PFI are in collaboration with:
- National Literacy Agency
- Directorat for Life-long learning
- Zejtun local council
- Zejtun Parish church
- St Thomas More College
- St Aloysius' College
- Junior College
- LEAP South-East
- Aġenzija Appoġġ
PFI receives financial support from the following:
- Community Chest Fund
- Malta Council for Voluntary sector (MCVS)
- Joseph Calleja BOV foundation
- The Jesuit Province, Malta